Tuesday, October 18, 2016

When All Hope Seems Lost

In less than a month, we as voting Americans will be walking into schools, administrative building, municipal buildings to vote on our next President of the United States. The next four years will be shaped by the person who wins this election... And that thought has left me feeling fearful, stressed, and lacking in hope for our country.

I have found myself on many occasions being overwhelmed by the negative political ads that run constantly. I feel scared by the thoughts of what could be. Our choices are not exactly prime choices this time around. I get lost in thought over what type of leaders my boys will have to "look up to", and not in good ways. I know I am not alone in this... I know that many people are scared of what the future holds. And that fear is showing in our interactions, in our conversations, in our day to day life.

Facebook is exploding with posts tearing down the candidates. Even worse, it's exploding with posts and comments tearing down people who side with either of the candidates. It's filled with name-calling and threats and arguments. Civil disagreements are becoming a thing of the past. And this leaves me feeling saddened and scared for the future.

This sadness and fear I have been feeling has been consuming me. And, I realized that I had managed to lose my grip on something extremely important... HOPE. I completely lost sight of my hope in tomorrow. I lost sight of my hope in the future that God has laid out for me and for my family. I had certainly lost sight of my hope in what God has in store for our country.

God has promised us that He is sovereign and just and loving and merciful. He has promised us futures filled with hope. It truly doesn't matter who becomes president this year, in four years, or in fifty years... Because God has promised to be with us ALWAYS. Yes, our president significantly impacts policies that have great impact on our lives. Yes, our president (and their beliefs) will shape our futures. But, no president has the power to impact our lives, our hearts, our families like God does.

The outcome of this year's election will greatly impact us all not just as Americans, but as human beings in general. The next four years will be different than any other time, no matter who wins the election. Changes will happen, for both the positive and the negative. That comes with new leadership... But no matter the leader, no matter the changes, no matter the outcome of this election, our God will still be God on November 9th. He will still be walking with us daily. He will still be loving us in a way only He can love us.

And so, during this unsettling time, I am choosing to put my HOPE in Him. To put aside my fears and anxieties, and to focus on HIS promises. He is my hope, today, tomorrow, over the next four years, and for decades to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment