Sunday, January 1, 2017

Reflections and Hope

Well, here we are... 2017! It's hard to believe that we are in a new month, let alone a whole new year. I still feel like it should be October... Certainly NOT January! But, whatever I feel, the reality is that 2016 is over and 2017 here, and there is SO MUCH to be thankful for!!

It's been a good year, overall. Some hard things came our way, and definitely some sad times came. Change happened (like every year). Relationships started, some went their separate ways. We started our own business (today is our one year anniversary of The Things We Make)! The boys finished one grade and started another. Ben started his first year of school. We've been on adventures and tried new things. It truly was a good year.

Actually, no, it wasn't just a "good" year... It was an amazing year! But not for the reasons I listed above. It's because of SO MUCH MORE.

This year, my husband and I trusted God and took a very big leap of faith and made some significant choices that impacted our family greatly. We didn't just start our own business, although that is a pretty cool thing for us. We decided to work as a team to make changes in our financial life. We chose to push out what society has taught us about money, stuff, and "keeping up with the Jones's". We chose to be serious about the goals we have in place for our family, with the number one goal being to teach our boys how to be true stewards of what God has given them. We worked through the horrible awkwardness of talking about money with each other and learned to set goals AS A TEAM that we could accomplish together. This year we have seen the product of our efforts, and we are so thankful for God's blessings and guidance through it all.

This year, I grew as a mom, as a wife, and most importantly as a woman. I learned more about myself and how to express what I need to those around me. I have learned that I am stronger, wiser and more capable than I give myself credit for. Even through doubts and struggles, I held tightly on to the truths I know, and that is a HUGE improvement from years past. I have found ways to find my quiet time, even amongst the craziness. I can say with great certainty that this has been a big year of growth for me.

But I think the most amazing part of this entire year is how the boys have grown and matured. We have watched each one of them find confidence in who they are, show love for others, and serve those around them. We watched Benjamin (or "Floppy" as he currently likes to be called) start Kindergarten with a confidence and gusto I did not expect. He is working so hard to overcome his sensory issues in class and has learned so much about self-control. The joy he exudes in everything he does is contagious, and I love to watch as his giggles spread like wildfire to others around him.

Our Zachary, with his super intelligence, has struggled to get a hold of his emotions throughout the years... He has struggled to express himself, especially when he is upset. But this year, I have seen him work extra hard to tame his soaring emotions. We have seen so much maturing in Zach this year, and I can only attribute his maturity to all the hard work he has put in. It makes this Mama's heart proud to see him not only work hard on the things he loves but also on the things he doesn't.

Moving on to Tyler, there are no words to describe where this boy is and where he has come from. I watch him everyday tackle things that I never thought were even possible. What makes THIS year so great is that he really buckled down and put all of his focus into school. He's rocking his classes, doing well grade wise, and has even made it into our school's gifted program. All of those things are things that are hard for him, because he has to stay focused for long periods of time. But, he does it every single day. And most importantly, he has cared for his friends and has brightened everyone's day with his ever positive attitude.

And then there's Patrick... Out of the four boys, this year has been the most eventful, growth-filled year for him. From being in the Academic Bowl at the beginning of the year, to being on the tech team at church, to serving as a leader in our Children's Ministry and being in the Chorus at school, he has definitely been busy! I have watched a very shy little boy develop into a confident young man this year. I sat watching him perform in his Chorus concert, and couldn't help but tear up as he sang from his heart. He was animated and confident, joy-filled and happy. He's had his downs this year, too. He didn't make a few things he tried out for, BUT with his loving spirit came home excited for his friends who did make it. He handled several moments of disappointment with grace and maturity, making me wish I was more like him. He loves God with everything in him, and is learning more ways to serve and share that love with others. He has definitely moved on from our little boy to a young man (in training)!

2016 has been an amazing year for our family. God has walked us through hard times, awesome times and everything in between. We have seen Him shine in our boys, and we pray that others have seen Him through us. I am excited to see what God has in store for us in 2017. I know more change is coming, more hard times, more awesome adventures, more love, more growth... But that's life, right?! It's what we do with everything that matters. It's how we embrace the change. How we rely on God's strength during the hard times. How we trust God during the adventures. How we love our family, our friends, strangers. The Schussler family will embrace 2017 with hope, as we know God has His plan for us. And His plan has always been, and will always be better than anything we can even imagine!

Happy New Year to all of you from the crazy Schussler crew!!! May you feel God's presence and peace this year and every year!

1 comment:

  1. Love these testimonies to the glory of the Father! How well pleased He is with you, sweet sister! Keep shining for Him.

    ReplyDelete