Sunday, March 4, 2018

What We Don't Need As Parents...

It's March... I can't believe it's March! I have noticed how time seems to be flying faster than it used to. As I have gotten older, time slips through my fingers so much faster...

I've been thinking a lot about parenting and how hard it can be. As I am typing, I am sitting next to our youngest, Ben, who is recovering from being sick. Watching him tire so quickly makes my heart sad. The boy that has energy to spare barely could muster up the energy to play his favorite video game. It's looking like a short lived bug, but this Mama wishes I could make it disappear. I know there are many parents who feel the same way right now...

There is nothing more a parent hates than to see their child suffer, whether it be physically or emotionally! But, I have found something else that I very much DISLIKE as a parent and that's the judgement and opinions that seem to so easily flow out of people's mouths. SO many people feel they have the right to share their opinions on how we as parents parent. SO many people feel they have the right to judge the way we parent, giving unapproving glances and whispering their thoughts to those around them. But, they don't... We don't.

Parenting is HARD. SUPER HARD. We question EVERYTHING we do. Are we promoting independence at the right age? Are we being stern enough when needed? Are we showing enough grace? Are our children eating the right food? Are we shaping our children to become contributing members of society or are we raising boomerang children who will manage to make their way back into our house when they are grown?

So many questions, so many doubts... AND other people's judgments and opinions do not help us. Don't get me wrong, my husband and I have a few close people that we bounce ideas off of and sort through some of the hardest times of parenting. We value those opinions from those closest to us greatly. What we struggle with are the opinions from those we have not been invited into our struggles. We do not wish to hear from the lady at Walmart who believes that time-outs are inappropriate to give in the store. We do not need the unsolicited advice on what WE should do to fix the craziness of having four boys. And, I KNOW that you all feel the same way!!

So, why do we do it to others? Why do I find myself judging the mom with the screaming child in the aisle of the grocery store? How many times have you done the same? Or maybe expressed your thoughts to another parent when you weren't asked?

We are not called to judge other parents. We are not called to criticize other parents. We are called to raise each other up. We are called to find ways to BUILD EACH OTHER UP.

What if we encouraged the mom with the screaming child by reminding her "this too shall pass"? What if we could wrap the struggling parent with words of kindness and encouragement? What if we asked parents we know HOW we could pray for them?

I can tell you what would happen: we'd have a lot more confident, supported parents. We'd have parents who weren't so afraid to "do the wrong thing". We'd have parents who would learn that they aren't alone. They would have freedom to share the hard times and know they won't be judged (because we struggle with the same things).

How will you help RAISE A PARENT UP? How can you help create an environment for tired, struggling parents that leave them feeling loved and accepted?

No comments:

Post a Comment