Friday, March 2, 2012

Everything You Need

Our household has been spectacular this cold season in sharing every boogie nose and nasty cough that has passed through.  The youngest 2, especially.  They are tired and cranky and they make going through a day rather challenging. 

Zachary is getting over his cold, and Benjamin is just starting to suffer from the chest cold.  I know this because I spent much of my night up with him.  He would sleep for half an hour or so, and then wake up crying.  I tried giving him medicine, but I'd have an easier time giving a real monkey medicine.  Medicine spilled, got spit out ON me, and by midnight, I was pretty much out of ideas. 

To add to the sleepless night, once Ben finally fell asleep, this mama kept having nightmares.  There were at least 3, all with the same general idea: LOSS.  Loss of Kevin, loss of the boys.  They seemed so very real.

With all of that said, the alarm went off at 5:30 for Kevin, and I woke up exhausted!  I have felt this way many times throughout the course of the past 5 years.  Having kids will do that to you... 

I do not drink coffee or any caffeinated drinks, so I have no artificial energy to pull from.  There are mornings (like today) where I am not sure how I will even get OUT of bed, let alone get 4 boys up, dressed and fed.  My tired prayer of, "Please, Lord, help me survive the day" is barely audible as I crawl into the shower.  But, by the time my shower is over and I am snuggling with bright eyed children, I have enough energy to start my day.  The energy (maybe lower than normal) is enough to sustain me through the day.  I always survive, sometimes even accomplish things along the way.

It's not my shower that gives me the energy.  It's nothing I do that sustains me throughout the day.  It's all God.  He gives me EVERYTHING I need to get through not only the whole day, but every moment within the day.  There are times I am praying that He can give me enough energy to get the dishes done.  Or sometimes, it's a prayer to give me enough motivation to tackle the laundry.  And, there are many times I pray that He helps me NOT to put my whiney, fighting children out on the porch with a FREE sign. 

I can't imagine my day without God.  I can't imagine how I could ever make it through days like today without HIS help.  When I ask (and sometimes when I forget to ask), He is always there to give me everything I need to make it through each moment.  Even if it's just a little extra energy...

No comments:

Post a Comment