Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Celebrate the Little Things

I sent out an email to my co-workers yesterday celebrating a milestone for our son Tyler.  As I wrote this email, tears of joy filled my eyes.  A little thing like going to the dentist became a significant blessing to us. 

"As some of you may know, our 2nd son, Tyler, was born with some significant developmental delays.  In May of 2011, we were told he was mildly autistic.  We had been in Early Intervention for 2 years before his diagnosis.  He had already made a lot of progress that even his therapists couldn’t explain.  Tyler went from a child who sat in our living room screaming every day, not wanting to be held or comforted, to an extremely happy, loving little boy.  We can even sit with him on the couch, where he will tolerate some cuddling!

One of the biggest issues we have faced with him has been his sensory needs.  The way he takes in the world around him is nothing like you or I would.  Sounds that we may barely hear sound like sonic booms to him.  Shirts that are soft to us may feel like a scouring pad to him.  His sensory issues have caused everyday occurrences to be a bit more challenging.  Through therapy, a lot of work at home, and a wonderfully loving and gracious God, we have tackled many of his issues.

Today, he had his dentist appointment.  To you, that may not be a big deal.  To us, it’s ginormous.  His first 2 appointments, he literally kicked and screamed, terrified of everything around him.  He wouldn’t even allow them to put the paper bib on him.  At his last visit, he had to be sedated just so they could count how many teeth he had.  Up until that point, they did not even know how his teeth looked.  Today, he bravely walked into the exam room, and although scared, allowed the dentist to count his teeth.  And then, with a little coaxing, he even allowed for his teeth to be cleaned!!!  He hummed songs that calm him, and when it was all done, he shouted, “I’m done!  Now I get my balloon!” 

I know to many of you, this may not sound like it’s that big of a deal.  But for the Schussler family, this is probably one of the biggest moments.  God has been so very gracious to us.  He gave us a beautiful little boy to help grow.  He has given us these wonderful, sweet moments to remember that HIS hand is in everything!"

These sweet moments are everywhere around us.  From Tyler succeeding at the dentist, to Benjamin imitating the word "Grammy", to the daffodils that are showing signs of blooming...  God's hand is in everything around us.  We may not see those moments because we are too busy.  Or maybe because we are too focused on the BIG PICTURE.  But, I have learned that the little moments are what sustains me.  Taking time to celebrate the little things gives me momentum to go for the big things, even the hard things. 

God blesses us DAILY, even when it might not feel like it.  Even in the times that I have felt life couldn't get any harder, the blessings were always there.  And, today, as I continue to face the challenges of 4 boys (2 with special needs), a full-time job, a husband, and the desire to focus on my own personal growth, I know with confidence that each day, if I stop and look, blessings will be in abundance.  And no matter the size, the blessings deserve to be celebrated!

No comments:

Post a Comment